11.17.2007

another kate update

Kate is not coming home for at least another 24-48 hours, the doctors said this morning.  We're hoping that will mean tomorrow, but we'll see how Kate progresses.  This is because Kate lost another 3rd of an ounce from yesterday to this morning, even though she did so well eating from the bottle (though still not sucking).  Kate ate 24 ounces of liquid today in three meals, and was going to get one more feeding of 6 more ounces before sleeping for the night.  In between dinner and the last feeding, Kate got an "NG" tube put in her nose down into her stomach.  This is because, even though she ate so well yesterday, she still did not get enough calories in order to gain any weight.  This feeding tube will allow a long term, slow feeding over 10 hours while Kate sleeps (that is, if she leaves the tube alone).  Kate, within the first 3 minutes of having the tube in her nose, took it out.  She's amazingly resourceful, I have to say.  While it was good that she ate more yesterday, and even more than that today, it was a more emotional day today as our nerves are starting to come to the surface and we're becoming more edgy with each other.  We felt that she had done so well yesterday and that she should have been coming home today, but that wasn't the case.  We put our faith in that instead of the knowledge that the LORD knows best and has His glory in mind, and that's what we need to be all about.  There are so many things grabbing for my attention right now (choir concert Sunday night, barbershop practice for a performance on the 30th, college and career at ncc, all on top of what's going on with Kate).  Amy's been quite the trooper through all of this, I have to say.  This will be good for us, as the LORD trains us through this and we also learn physical care for a baby not eating well.  I'm wondering how the LORD is going to allow us to use this knowledge to help others in the future....  As a last note for tonight, I got to see Aidan again!  WOOHOO!  I love my little buddy.  He smiled when he saw me and we played and laughed for a while before I put him down for a nap while I ate with the Ogles and then woke him up and brought him home.  I very much appreciate the Ogles taking care of our little man for the past four days, but I really needed to see and touch my son.  He hugged and kissed me.  My heart needed it after this week's excitement.  Quite a blessing from the LORD, truly.  It's on to church tomorrow for Aidan and me (which was supposed to be our baby dedication day for Kate before the congregation at ncc), and then we'll see what the doctors say about when we can bring Kate home.  Pray that it'll be tomorrow and that Kate would have gained weight.  Pray that the LORD would be glorified in it all.

0 comments: