11.13.2007

kate in hospital

Tuesday nights are always CCC (the Christian Club on Campus) for Deer Valley. I sponsor this club as a ministry and help shepherd and disciple the student leaders of the group. But not tonight...

Katelyn has been having a rough day today. Amy took her in for a follow-up visit from our last week's excursion. Last week we took her in just because we're concerned about her weight loss. She's not been eating as well as she should have been. She had been sick, so she stopped eating as much, but more than that, she's not been taking in the amount of formula she needs because she will not drink from any type of bottle, no matter the nipple or sippy cup form or size. Is she just picky? Is she having a hard time swallowing? She eats baby food, and swallows it, for that matter, without pause. Since we found out Amy's been pregnant, she's physically been unable to breast-feed, otherwise we'd still be doing that (well, she'd still be doing that). With that background laid for you, Amy took her in to see the doctor for the follow-up, but she had lost 3 more oz. in the last week, so he suggested the hospital for her. Amy came by school and got me after school was out. Amy had already taken Aidan to the Ogles', where he is spending the night, and we then proceeded to the Phoenix Children's Hospital at 19th St and Thomas in downtown Phoenix. We got her in there around 3:30-4:00. We got a room and they took her vitals. The doctor for the night shift (a very personable and understanding man) was great and asked us the same questions we'd answered at least twice before, but we obliged. He told us that nothing more would happen tonight but that we'd get at it in the morning and run tests and the like. I came home so I could sleep and then teach tomorrow, and Amy stayed with Kate. It was hard for me to leave, but I have teaching to do, also. Amy is holding up well, and Kate is doing fine. Strangest thing about it: she is "healthy," happy, coos, smiles, interacts, lifts herself up, and is overall doing fine (not to mention that she's gorgeous).

One of the great things that happened tonight, though, is that my Grandma Irene called and came to the hospital to be with us. It was great to see her again, catch up a bit, and have her around in a time of need. She is a great care giver, and we appreciated very much that she was willing to come and help us out. Love you, Grandma.

We'll see what happens tomorrow. If I have to leave work, I will leave work. Family first. But there is no need for me to just be there and wait (not to mention that there is really only one chair in the room for others besides patients). Amy is great. I appreciate her very much for stepping up and being there and allowing me to work in the meantime. I'll be getting back there as soon as I can after school tomorrow. I'll try to keep you all posted on what's going on. But for now, please pray for our little girl.

0 comments: