5.16.2007

kate's birth story

We got to Banner Thunderbird Medical Hospital this morning around 9am or so. We were supposed to have a bed this morning at 6am, but Amy called at 5 and there was none available. They told us they’d call back with a vacancy. The hospital called us just before 8am saying there was an opening, but we had to get ready and wait for Francy to come to watch Aidan. Francy came about 9 and we left immediately. They almost gave our bed away, since it had taken us so long to get here after the phone call, but we made it in time to keep it. The room we are in is about double the size that Aidan’s delivery room was, and the air conditioning is working this time, too. Amy is on a brand new bed, which she says is a lot more comfortable this time.

I am writing this as the nurse has just told us that Amy is ready to go, totally dilated; it’s about 3:30pm . Amy just looked at me and said, “Did you hear that? We’re ready to go.” “She’s complete,” is what I just heard the nurse say to the other nurses outside. Daddy-O is calling Zsa-gi (Francy) to let her know to get here soon. Amy’s told me to put this laptop down, so I am.

I’m back. She pushed for about 10 minutes but Kate didn’t drop far enough, so we’re going to wait more until Kate comes down farther naturally, without pushing, that is. The doctor was also here and told us that I could not use the Leatherman this time to cut the umbilical cord. I didn’t appreciate how the doctor went about it, but I can understand her desire for things to be sterile. The doctor tends to talk down to us in a higher pitched voice (like a voice intended for little children) and I don’t appreciate it. I am sure that I don’t like it because it is an insult to my intelligence and that is my kingdom she’s assaulting. I would say it was a sinful reaction, and I really should just let it go because she doesn’t define me, nor does my intellect, Christ does. So, now we wait and see how the next 30-60 minutes go waiting for Kate to do her thing naturally. After that, Amy will push again.

Katelyn Anaya was born at 1632! 4:32pm for my little girl. She is beautiful. I will make sure there are lots and lots of pictures posted numerous places for all to see. Amy did beautifully. Kate is now feeding (5:05pm) after being weighed at 6 lbs. 12.2 ounces and measured at 20 inches in length. She was cleaned up, and I got to hold her as Amy was still being cleaned up herself. Amy says that Kate is already a pretty good eater. “Gosh, she’s so small. Especially compared to Aidan,” Amy just said (5:10pm). I am waiting to get Mike and Francy back in here until Amy has finished feeding Kate her first meal. She has beautiful dark eyes like her mother (and Aidan) and has a similar facial structure to Aidan (like mine) as well. I have to say…I am a proud papa. She cried a lot more than Aidan did when she first came out. I can already see a difference in personality, but more of that I’m sure is still to come. I am very much looking forward with eager anticipation to her growth and progress. May the Lord bring her close to Him, save her soul, and glorify His name through her!


Just as an added bonus: back in March of 2006, after Aidan was born, Amy said, " Wow, my heartburn is gone"; now in May of 2007, after Katelyn was born, Amy said, "Wow, I can breathe better now."

0 comments: