4.13.2007

dvhs staff vs alumni

I had the incredible opportunity to step in and play with the staff in the annual staff vs alumni basketball game. I wore #34 from the Skyhawks varsity uniforms. I came off the bench to relieve some of the other staff players who were winded. I ended up playing about half the game. I got 1 of my 4 shots, nothing but net from about 10ft out. I took two shots in the first half, two in the second. I did end up getting two good stops when the alumni were trying to do some trick slams by passing the ball to the trailer by throwing it off the backboard, and I would jump up and get in the way of the ball or the trailer: it worked. I was not great, but I had a blast. Some of the other staff were actually pretty good, but more weren't. The alumni had us down by 14 a the half, 32 - 18. One of the alum is now the number one scoring basketball player (as a freshman) for the ASU Sun Devils. He got a couple jams and made everyone else look like we shouldn't even be on the floor with him. He missed enough for us to somewhat stay in the game, though. Another alum was Michael Pino, who graduated with me from DV back in 2001. So I guess I could have played for either team, right? The final score was 64-60, the alum over staff, that is, after some imaginative scoring from the score keeper and some staff-minded calls, like a technical for an alumnus simply answering an official's question. It helped that the officials were also staff members. Go fig. It was starting to get really funny, but the staff just couldn't hit our shots for us to be able to win (even in falsehood). The score should have been more like 71 - 54, in reality, but who's counting? Oh, and my lungs burnt like I hadn't exercised in 5 years. Yeah...it hurt.

0 comments: