5.10.2007

ggvan's guestbook going offline

The guestbook can't stay up forever, I guess, but it was a sad email sent to me that the book was going to be removed from the internet on May 15th. I've copy and pasted what I and some selected others (my sister and mom) had posted on it, just to save it.

April 17, 2007
I am Grandma Van's second oldest great-grandchild and father of her oldest great-great-grandchild. This woman blessed my heart in ways I can't even describe. She will continue to be an inspiration to me to live a life worthy of our Father in Heaven, bringing glory to His name. She prayed for her family, loved her family, and lived righteously before God and man. This is my heritage. This is my dream. I look forward to seeing my Lord say to me just what I am sure He said to her: "Welcome, my good and faithful servant." Oh, to see His face! Oh, to be home and at rest! *Lord, thank you for my great grandmother and what it is that YOU did in and through her to bring YOU glory. May You work in and through my family and me, as well. Thank You for this legacy.*
Vaughn Adam Van Liew II (Phoenix, AZ)


April 16, 2007
Mildren Marceta Charles Van Liew was my great grandmother. How blessed I was to have such a godly grandmother. I sat at her table, while she taught me many things. But of all of those tangible things she taught me, the truly remarkable thing was that she taught me more without saying a single word. She loved me well.


She introduced me to my favorite ice cream, Vanilla Bean and I would eat it seated at her table and the ice cream would always be in the same sweet little bowl, just the right size for an eleven year old girl. She taught me how to quilt, I didn't have the patience for it then, but my dolls benefited from her teaching. I quilt now and my sleeping "live doll" is covered by a homemade quilt.The first time I ever shared about the love and grace of Jesus Christ was with her, at a Backyard Bible Club. I would rush home and run down the street to make it to her house before she would leave with Mrs. Singer. I just wanted to be with her, she was investing in eternity.

She was always thinking toward Heaven, that was the way she lived life every day. Now she is there, she served well, lived well, loved well. She lived life to the fullest and I am forever grateful that she did.
Bethany Dumas (Birmingham, AL)


April 15, 2007
Grandma Van was one of my favorite people. When I married her eldest grandson, Vaughn, in 1978, she welcomed me as an important part of the family - something that I really needed! Grandma taught me many practical things without a lot of pomp and circumstance. She gracefully "fleshed out" the Christian life. She laughed A LOT; she had beautiful blue eyes that just sparkled. In February 2007, she turned 100 years old and the family gathered around her to celebrate her life and to receive her blessing. It was a wonderful time and it is already a precious memory for me; one of my most special.


Grandma Van - you were/are an inspiration to me and you have already positively impacted the next 2 generations. I am sure that you were welcomed into the arms of Jesus and heard, "Well done My good and faithful servant." Smile, Grandma smile! You are home. I am sure that you are no longer in pain or discomfort. You can rest in the arms of our Father forever. We look forward to being reunited with you again when it is our time to go home. WE LOVE YOU!
Kathy Van Liew (Gadsden, AL)

0 comments: